BIOL 1143: Biology and Society
Lecture - 4 credits
- Offers an overview of how biology weaves its way across a broad spectrum of complex societal issues.
- Introduces students to the biological mechanisms and processes responsible for genetic inheritance, energy transfer, evolution, and population dynamics, providing a framework within which students may critically interpret and discuss important biological information provided in public forums.
- Seeks to empower students to make informed choices at the policy and personal levels.
- Offers students an opportunity to acquire an understanding of the basic principles of biology and apply the scientific process to the analysis of contemporary issues.
- Using a thematic approach, covers a wide range of issues including the reemergence of plagues, biological weapons and security, the environment, and human health and wellness.
Offers an overview of how biology weaves its way across a broad spectrum of complex societal issues. Show more.