Civil & Environmental Engineer
CIVE 7251: Environmental Biological Processes
Lecture - 4 credits
- Examines microbiology with emphasis on biological processes in environmental engineering applications.
- Topics include cell structure, morphology, cell nutrition and growth, energy transfer and utilization, aerobic and anaerobic microbial metabolism, biological wastewater process theory and modeling, biological nutrients removal, and disinfection of relevant microorganisms.
- Includes relevant laboratory exercises of treatment parameters used to monitor the biological processes, such as BOD, TOC, COD, gravimetric methods, and dissolved oxygen.
- Also covers enzyme kinetics and evaluation of kinetic coefficients for biotreatment.
- Requires one semester of undergraduate chemistry or one semester of undergraduate biology.
Examines microbiology with emphasis on biological processes in environmental engineering applications. Show more.