CLTR 1120: Introduction to Languages, Literature, and Culture
Lecture - 4 credits
- Examines the rich interconnections between literature and language and the culture that supports them.
- Discusses the relationship of language to literature and investigates how language and literatures are embedded in culture.
- Addresses several very broad and important questions, such as the relationship between language and culture; the relationship between language and thought; the definition of cultural relativism; and how ethical dilemmas are expressed in different cultures.
- Explores the relationship of esthetic and rhetorical traditions in given languages to the culture from which they sprang.
- In this context, examines the extremely interesting case of American Sign Language and how a gestural language sheds light on these issues.
Examines the rich interconnections between literature and language and the culture that supports them. Show more.