Ecology, Evolutn & Marine Biol
EEMB 2400: Introduction to Evolution
Lecture - 4 credits
- Introduces evolutionary thinking, including contemporary examples of evolution.
- To understand the evolution of Charles Darwin's “endless forms most beautiful,” the course adopts an integrative approach that includes information from ecology, genetics, molecular biology, biogeography, and paleobiology.
- Considers mechanisms of evolutionary change—how does it happen?
- Examines adaptation, the process by which attributes of an organism change to enhance fitness and the evolutionary history of life on our planet—what was the first living thing, how does speciation occur, what have we learned about evolution of life in the distant past, and how did humans evolve.
- Includes student presentations and analysis of scientific literature.
Introduces evolutionary thinking, including contemporary examples of evolution. Show more.