Earth & Environmental Sciences
ENVR 5220: Ecosystem-Based Management
Lecture - 4 credits
- Introduces the principles and practice of ecosystem-based management.
- Covers how ecosystem-based management draws from social, economic, and ecological principles, as well as how these principles are fundamentally coupled.
- Begins by covering the evolution of resource management, from single-species to ecosystem-based approaches, including the strengths and challenges of each approach.
- Focuses on how ecosystem-based management has been applied to terrestrial, freshwater aquatic, and marine ecosystems, including challenges and successes of adopting this approach.
- Draws from a wide range of examples, including marine protected areas, terrestrial and marine spatial planning, and habitat restoration.
- Designed for upper-intermediate or advanced undergraduates and graduate students in environmental science and related fields.
Introduces the principles and practice of ecosystem-based management. Show more.