HUSV 2340: Mindfulness in Mental Health
Lecture - 4 credits
- Explores mindfulness and its relationship to human services.
- Mindfulness is practiced in myriad human services settings, including schools, mental health facilities, medical settings, and prisons.
- Traces the development of mindfulness from its origins in Buddhism, to early adoption and integration with Western mental health ideologies, to the ways it is currently being integrated in social service organizations.
- Explores the inherent tensions in adopting a practice embedded in ancient non-Western cultures to Western thinking, healing, and psychotherapy.
- Examines the ways culture, identity, and power have shaped the presentation and proliferation of mindfulness.
Explores mindfulness and its relationship to human services. Show more.