ME 3470: Aeronautical Propulsion
Lecture - 4 credits
- Introduces basics for the analysis and design of aircraft engines and reviews the history of gas turbine engines.
- Introduces general conservation laws of mass, energy, and momentum for compressible flows and application to quasi-one-dimensional internal flows and shock waves in external flows.
- Reviews thrust and thermodynamic performance of the engines.
- Discusses designing parameters of the inlets in detail.
- Uses the principles of chemical equilibrium to calculate the composition of combustion products in a chemical reaction to find flame temperature and energy release, which drive the design of combustors and afterburners.
- Introduces physics and aerodynamics of compressors and turbines, and reviews basics of gas turbine blades cooling.
Introduces basics for the analysis and design of aircraft engines and reviews the history of gas turbine engines. Show more.